Hello and welcome to One World! This is the virtual space that represents us and tells our story and that of our Italian school, which is based in Cagliari, Sardinia. Our goal is to make Italian teaching easy, fun and accessible to everyone because we feel a bit like a big Italian family: we like to welcome those who love our language and give everyone the chance to study with us, 365 days a year. It doesn't matter whether you are close or far away, thanks to our varied projects you will learn in many different ways.
With One World you can:
Learn Italian in Italy at our school
The heart of One World Italiano is made up of a team of qualified and energetic teachers. Anna Rita, Giulia, Giuseppe, Jlenia, Noemi and Veronica: it is they, with their passion, hard work and enthusiasm who have created varied and comprehensive educational material, made up of different kinds of lessons and courses (for more information, click here).
Thanks to our communicative method which all teachers use in the classroom, you will experience a practical and concrete approach that will motivate you to put into practice out of school what you have learned during the lessons. You will have plenty of opportunities to make friends and get to know the locals: studying here at One World, in fact, means immersing yourself in a typical Italian lifestyle.
If you want to complete your study path with an official certification, you can take one of the CILS exams, for which we are an authorised centre. You will have an internationally recognised qualification, useful for both work and study purposes.
Study alone with an entire site of free resources
We know that it is not always easy to come to study Italian in Italy, for time or distance issues. For this reason we have created www.oneworlditaliano.com: an entire web site with free resources and educational materials to learn the language independently and free of charge. Within the site you will find 2 courses divided into Italian 1 and 2, and sections dedicated to film trailers, video exercises, grammar, vocabulary and more. This project is the result of years of experience and work and is designed to enable you to learn Italian wherever you are and at your own pace.
Follow Veronica's video course on Youtube
Veronica is the most loved Italian teacher on the web and it's easy to understand why: funny, friendly and ironic, she has a clear and effective teaching method and has the gift of being able to make the most complex subjects light and fun. On our Youtube channel, we have an Italian language video course from A1 (elementary) to B1 (intermediate) level, divided into 25 lessons and always accompanied by 3 extra videos at the end of each level with a review, exam and exam solutions.
In addition to educational videos you will find special series, some dedicated to the most common mistakes made by learners of Italian, others concerning the school, the city and the beauty of Cagliari and Sardinia. If you want to learn Italian while having fun this is definitely the right option for you!
Improve your Italian a little every day with our newsletter and social channels
Learning a language is a bit like doing sports: doing regular exercise is crucial! In order to help you practice every day, perhaps during a break from your busy schedule, we decided to prepare free materials to offer every month to the faithful subscribers to our newsletter (by the way, you can sign up here). Every month we choose a specific theme around which we create vocabulary lists, grammar explanations and practical lists which you can carry with you, to study a little Italian every day!
Also on Facebook and Instagram we always try to offer something useful and interesting: new words from the Italian language, cultural anecdotes, proverbs and so on. Then, every now and then, you will see some pictures of us, Veronica and the school, because like every good Italian family we like to keep relationships alive and welcome you to a creative, vibrant and stimulating environment that you can also help to build.
How? By joining One World, your big Italian family.
We offer Italian courses from A1 to C2 level, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Before you arrive in Cagliari we will ask you to do a test online so that we can begin to evaluate your level. Once you arrive on Monday morning we will consider your other linguistic skills like speaking and listening so we will be able to place you in the right group for your level.
You can choose from various types of courses according to your interests, your needs and the level of intensity with which you want to study Italian.
Students who attend an Italian course at One World end up falling in love with Sardinia. This is because they spend their free time exploring the island, thanks to the many activities offered by the school. When you come to study with us you can also choose which Sardinia you would like to experience, according to your tastes, your budget and your needs. Whether you want to ride the waves with a surfboard, sunbathe on a picture postcard beach or explore inland villages lost in time, Sardinia will not disappoint you. Here below we name just a few of the many opportunities that One World offers for your free time:
- Excursions and explorations. At regular intervals we organise trips to the most beautiful places of southern Sardinia; The archaeological sites of Nora and Barumini, the Sulcis mines or the historic areas of Cagliari. All of our students can take part in a free tour of the old and charming Castello district of Cagliari: an unmissable opportunity to find out about the history of the city.
- The sea, naturally. Sardinia is often called the Caribbean of Europe, due to its crystal clear waters and its incredible natural scenery. We will show you that it is all true and for this reason, we organise day trips to some of the most beautiful beaches in the area, such as Chia or Villasimius.
- Sport, of all kinds and for all tastes. For those who love sports, Sardinia is a paradise. Land rich in nature and breathtaking scenery offers possibilities ranging from trekking to sailing and canoeing excursions. The favourable wind conditions in the Gulf of Cagliari facilitate the practice of numerous water sports such as surfing, windsurfing and kitesurfing.
- Wellness and relaxation. Want something more relaxing but equally unforgettable and maybe even romantic? We recommend horseback excursions, preferably on the beach and at sunset. To relax even more, you can also pamper yourself at one of the many spas or wellness centres and choose from a wide range of regenerating programmes.
- Village fairs and festivals: the real Sardinia. Sardinia is made up of so many small villages, each of which has its own history, its strong identity told through traditional events and festivals. Geographic isolation has certainly contributed to maintaining ancient, sometimes archaic and mysterious traditions. The charming carnivals of the hinterland will take you into a world of primitive masks, which celebrate man and nature. The Sa Sartiglia festival is full of colourful characters who will make you feel as if you are in a scene from a film, while Sundays in the woods and mountain villages during the “Autunno in Barbagia” event will allow you to step back in time when life was more tranquil.
- Culinary experiences. Italy is also about the pleasure of discovering all the nuances hidden behind its wines and its local produce. You will visit wine cellars that offer superb wine-tasting events, numerous farmhouses where you can enjoy Sardinian gastronomic specialties or the many cheese factories in the area, where you will be accompanied and guided by our school staff. For a more adventurous experience, you can also try ichthyo-tourism. What is this? Go out on a boat, fish and then eat what you caught! Also for those who love the practical side of things, there is the possibility of following a course of Sardinian cooking, in which the main ingredients of the most famous island dishes will be explained, along with the techniques and methods of preparation and cooking. When you return home you will be able to surprise your guests with unforgettable dinners!
- Events in the city. An up-to-date calendar on Cagliari events will mean you won't miss any activity of interest to you. In the city, there is something for every taste: concerts, festivals, movies, book presentations, exhibitions, sports events and much more.
We will give you all the information you need to fully immerse yourself in the Sardinian lifestyle, making your Italian course with us a unique experience.
Cagliari is the main city in Sardinia and is really the capital of this island-continent, with all of the things you would expect to find in a capital city. Our school is located at the start of the Old Town on Via Roma, and is therefore the ideal starting point to discover the city.
The Old Town of Cagliari
You can start exploring by getting lost in the network of narrow streets in the Marina district, a crossroads of cultures, colours, small shops and craft workshops. The Marina, an ancient sailors' and fishermen's village, is certainly one of the most vibrant parts of Cagliari and it represents the strong link between the city and the sea. You can then visit the historic districts of Stampace and Villanova in search of Roman ruins, towers, ancient walls, museums, churches and tunnels, then climb to the top of the old town, the Castello district. From here you will see the city view from above and your eyes will be filled with blue as the sky merges into the sea and everything will be illuminated by that special light, the light of the Mediterranean.
Nature reserves, beaches and seven hills
Cagliari means history but also nature. The stars are undoubtedly the flocks of pink flamingos, visible in nature reserves and parks such as Molentargius, which you can go around on foot or on a rental bike. Then sunshine, coloured umbrellas, stalls that serve cool drinks or fish dishes: the Poetto beach offers this and more. Known as the city's beach, it is about 7 km long and it is certainly a place we recommend you visit for at least two reasons: it offers a truly impressive seafront and it is the favourite meeting point of the locals, thus making it one of the most suitable places to make friends and practice your Italian skills. And when you want to feel like the king or queen of the world and breath in the beauty of the city you can choose to admire the panorama from above. Did you know that Cagliari, like Rome and Istanbul, is built on seven hills? To appreciate this, we recommend a walk around Monte Urpinu or, if you feel a bit more sporty, you can take a short hike to the top of the Sella del Diavolo, the hill that overlooks the sea. Your effort will be rewarded with a refreshing, inspiring panorama that will clear your head and allow you to put life in perspective.
Tasty and curious food
It's hard not to go home happy and satisfied with the excellent local cuisine. It's tasty and made with simple, natural ingredients. Among the most unforgettable dishes you will find are malloreddus alla campidanese and spaghetti ai ricci, two local pasta recipes. Malloreddus are small hard wheat flour gnocchi, combined with a sauce of tomatoes, fresh sausage and saffron. Spaghetti ai ricci, on the other hand, is spaghetti with sea urchins and is one of those pasta and fish combinations which gives you a unique taste of the sea. If you would like to try it, you will find white stalls scattered around the city, which, in the months the sea urchins are available, will offer you whole trays of freshly opened sea urchins and a glass of Vermentino. Now, if you want to do what a real native of Cagliari would do on Sunday mornings and live really local, this is one of the things you can not miss out on. For something a little more curious, however, we recommend that you try Sa Burrida and Sa Cassola; the first one is a Cagliari specialty with a small-spotted catshark, divided into tranches and cooked with a sauce made from its own liver, oil, garlic, breadcrumbs, pine nuts and walnuts. Sa Cassola is a seafood soup prepared according to an ancient Cagliari recipe. In a word? Delicious!
And when the sun sets?
The perfect evening ends with an aperitif in one of the many bars in the old town and with the discovery of a new face of this Mediterranean city: that of its sparkling nights, the music of the beach bars or the numerous events organised by the city: jazz concerts, opera and theatre performances, street markets, literary reviews and much more.
To help you decide what to do during your stay in Cagliari, you can consult our constantly updated activity calendar!
We pay particular attention to your accommodation to make your stay here as comfortable as possible. All of the accommodation options are either within walking distance of the school or a short bus ride away.
The accommodation is generally available from the day before your course starts until the day after your course finishes but if you need to stay longer we will be happy to find a solution for you.
You can choose from the following options:
This is the ideal option if you want to really "experience" Italian family life. Having meals together, watching television and generally spending time with Italians is an enjoyable and effective way to get the most out of your time here. You will be given a key and you will be free to come and go as you please. You can choose to have just breakfast with the family, breakfast and dinner or breakfast, dinner and lunch. Sheets and towels are provided. Families are carefully chosen for their willingness to help their guests during their stay in Cagliari.
Private room in an apartment
If you prefer to have more independence, you can stay in a room in a flat with other students or Italians and share the kitchen and bathroom.
You can choose between single and double rooms. The rooms are furnished with basic necessities. Sheets and towels are provided.
If you prefer to stay by yourself you can choose to stay in an independent apartment. This could suit you if you are coming alone or if you are travelling in a small group. Sheets and towels are provided.
Bed and Breakfast/Hotel
If you want a more traditional place to stay, we can find you a Bed and Breakfast or a hotel. You can choose from a wide selection, from those offering basic services to deluxe options, all within walking distance or a short bus ride from the school.